Index to Computational Physics Course Material according to the published article. In 2016 we changed hardware, operating system and moved from f77 to gfortran, so some of the links below will refer to the updated versions.
A summary of useful weblinks:
- Summary of
about accounts opened, PHELAFEL problems etc.
- Email Dr Joan Adler
with general questions.
Class email list.
- Help from consultants
and information about software packages for both this course and your thesis
research can be found on the
page of the Computer Center website.
- Summary of
on PHELAFEL and phclass1-5.
- With fortran and c we will be using
and a listing of the different subroutines can be found on the local
subroutines page. For use on phclass1-5 see the
page for compilation etc.
information and syllabus.
projects from previous years.
- Summary of
- Week 1 -
History, hardware, software, communications, manuals, consultants, web use,
security. Programs - survey2011.f, compiling FORTRAN
- Week 2
- Simulation, enumeration, algebraic manipulations, solution of equations,
basic precautions. Example of random walks, random numbers. Programs
rwalk1.f rwalk2.f urand.f cplot.f, compiling with PGPLOT, project discussion.
- Week 3
numerical differentiation, quadrature, roots, and Targil 5 discussion.
(21/3/11) I know this is Shushan Purim, students who live in Jerusalem
may arrange an appointment to meet me later in the week if they missclass.
- Week 4
- Ordinary differential equations, order and chaos. Programs chap2*.f (28/3/11)Targil 1 due 18:00.
- Week 5 -
Boundary value and eigenvalue equations, Schroedinger equations.
Programs chap3*.f (4/4/11) Targil 2 due.
- Week 6
- Molecular Dynamics in Solids, Visualization (11/4/11) No homework due, but look at the page on Molecular Dynamics and
play some of the movies there.
- Week 7 - MATHEMATICA, special functions, gaussian quadrature + project topic reports (2/5/11) Project proposal and Targil 3 due. The lecture will finish by 12:40 for those who wish to go to the tekes zikaron at 13:00.
- Week 8
- Explanantions on webservers.
Monte Carlo integration and Ising models (16/5/11).
- Percolation, fractals (23/5/11) Targil 4 due.
CHANGE OF ORDER
Week 13 Linux and HPC (30/5/11).scripts need checking still; linux part will be done later.
- Series expansions, Pade approximants (6/6/11) + LINUX bits if there is time.
- Week 11
- partial differential equations- time dependent
Schroedinger eqn (13/6/11) + preliminary project presentations/status reports.
- Week 12 Granular media, computational optics (20/6/11) and other topics to be selected.
-------------- UPDATED till here for 2011--------------
- Targil 1 - due 28/3/11
- Targil 2 - due 4/4/11
- Targil 3 - due 2/5/11
- Targil 4 - due 23/5/11
- Targil 5 - due 4/7/11
- Project Information proposal due 2/5/11, project due end of moed bet spring
or will cost points.
For more information about the Computational Physics
Group at the