- RISC vs CISC (reduced instruction set computer vs complex instruction
set computer) versus SPARC.
- Mass produced pentiums, AMD opterons, combined into parallel computers, (e.g.
our TAMNUN cluster)
versus specially designed parallel computers (JUGENE at Juelich, JAGUAR at Oakridge, K-computer in Kobe.)
- Shared versus distributed memory.
- Types of computers:
Mainframe, Desktop, Laptop, Notebook, Ultrabook, Smartphone, etc
- Q. What is a supercomputer? A. This is a function of time, but a good
rule of thumb used to be whatever
the US government feels the need to
give an export license to let people buy it (e.g. Minerva1 and NANCO).
However TAMNUN far more powerful, no license needed!
- Peripherals: modems, printers, scanners.
- Switches and Routers are computers that handle network traffic.