FIRST WEEK: 1.4 COMMUNICATIONS
- Ethernet (10 million b.p.s.)
in rm 315 connected to ``ethernet card'' in the computer
and connected via switches and
routers to FDDI (Fiber distributed data interface, fiberoptic 100
million b.p.s.), to the computer center and then to the world.
of the Technion's connections to the world. More details here.
- TCP/IP (Transmission control protocol/internet protocol)
Israel has numbers 132.xxx.xxx.xxx or 128.xxx.xxx.xxx.
The Technion has 132.68.xxx.xxx
Physics has numbers including 132.68.74.xxx, 132.68.75.xxx and 132.68.73.xxx.
The number for PHELAFEL is 184.108.40.206
- SKYPE is the most popular way to send video
and voice over IP.
- Modems connect computers to telephones, cable networks and ADSL.
- From outside the Technion network you access phelafel by reaching
TX(T2) using your tx(T2) username and password to log in and then sshing to
phelafel or phclass1-5.
- Wireless: we will use hardwired connections in class in order to have full login capability,without special requests.